Saturday, March 23, 2024

Taming modesty to work with elephants



    I’m standing with my back to an elephant lean-to in the middle of the Cambodian jungle hiding my embarrassment. 
     I have split my pants. Raggedly and badly. 
    The split exposes my left, underwear-covered butt cheek and cellulite puckered upper leg (I am obese). 
     Just minutes earlier, I was whacking a path through the jungle with a machete to help mahouts and volunteers clear land and shear tree limbs to build a pig enclosure. In the jungle of Cambodia. 
     I think I need to stop here for the whole back story. 
     It is 2015 and I am in Sen Monorom, which is the capital city of the province of Mondulkiri in Cambodia. I am here for two weeks, volunteering at the Elephant Valley Project. The non-profit rescues elephants and returns them to the wild. The Cambodian culture is such that a mahout accompanies each rescued elephant. 
     The non-profit works not only to rescue the elephants, but to help the mahouts become self-sustaining. So what we are doing today is creating a pig enclosure in the middle of the jungle to provide the mahouts with a source of food and income. 
     Back to my split pants. 
     After we clear the land, we use the limbs to create a fence framework then pound corrugated metal sheets onto that frame. 
    

    As I bend down to hold the corrugated sheet in place, a stealth briar branch, which has escaped all of our machetes, grabs onto my pants (I do not know this.) 
     As I stand up and move on, my pant leg stays behind and rips, apparently too thin to resist the capture. (It is hot in the jungle and I had packed accordingly.) 
     Parts of my body I would never expose are now exposed. 
    Immediately, I seek to hide my rear. The nearest place is the elephant lean-to. That’s where my dear volunteer coordinator finds me. She offers the only covering she has, out here in the jungle: her emergency sweatshirt. 
     Tie the arms around your waist,  she says. The shirt can act as a cape. 
     She’s 98 pounds. I am obese. The arms of her shirt don’t reach around my belly. 
     So I stand and think a moment. I can leave (they’ve offered me a way out). Or I can stay, swallow my pride (my body shaming is terrific) and keep working.
     It really isn’t too hard to decide. 
     Here I am in the middle of the Cambodian jungle, surrounded by free-ranging elephants, harvesting bananas for them, sleeping in a jungle tent, listening to wild monkeys, building a pig pen. 
     I don’t want out. 
     So I go back to work and enjoy this amazing life.


1 comment:

Marcy said...

Oh Nancy....What a woman of adventure you are! How wonderful to read this story of your life in Cambodia, helping rescue elephants,and building enclosures for pigs. I'm glad you stayed, even with split pants; living life to its fullest in the jungle! You're amazing!